Saturday, April 27, 2013

DIY: Transform Your Baby Shower Cards into Nursery Art!

When I was thinking about DIY projects I wanted to make for our baby girl's nursery, I had an idea one day while driving to work and I'm excited to share with you the final result.

I love receiving cards and I always find myself keeping them in a box or drawer somewhere and never looking at them again.  I love the memories they represent and so I wanted to find a way to preserve the cards from the baby showers I had.  The solution was to create a special piece of art for our daughter's nursery made out of the cards from my showers.

I thought it would be a fun, colorful piece and I am really happy with how it turned out.  Here's how I made it:

First, I laid out all of the cards I received at my baby showers and removed the duplicate cards (there were quite a few with the exact same design).  Then, I arranged them into color families.



I used a piece of poster board to make a heart shape I liked. It took me about three tries to get the right shape and size. Once I had the tracer ready, I began to find my favorite part of each card and used the heart to trace a heart onto the area I wanted to cut out.  Then, I used sharp scissors to cut out a piece of the card.


Once I had all of the hearts cut out, I used the insert of the IKEA Ribba frame to arrange the hearts to see how many rows I could fit. 


Then, I cut out a piece of poster board that fit into the frame and arranged the hearts into the color order I liked best.


I then stacked the hearts in the order I wanted to have them and then I affixed the poster board to the matting of the IKEA Ribba frame and got out my glue stick.


 I arranged the hearts again and glued each one into place with a regular glue stick.


Here's the final piece!


I decided to use it in the nursery's bathroom because I needed a piece for above the towel rack and thought this one looked particularly pretty with the pink walls:


If you're looking for a special way to make your baby shower or wedding cards a keepsake, definitely try something like this out!  You could do any pattern---polka dots or stars would be really sweet too.

Thank you for reading and hope you're having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment